Tuesday, April 24, 2007

alexander's spring open

so with all these weekend jobs and things being weird at work etc. i have gotten behind on my math hw
now this wouldn't be a problem if i had 32 weeks like they said online before i signed up instead of the 16 that they sprung on me after i turned in the first assignment
they said that if i finished the first test then i could get an extension, but that means i have to finish 2 assignments by the end of this week plus the one i was finishing up this weekend
really annoying considering how long the stupid things take to do
so i was thinking about going to the alexander's spring open tournament in indy on sunday but the hw was weighing on me a bit so i ended up working on the hw until 1am, slept till 3:30 when i was awakened by a very strange drunk-dial, slept till 5:45 and was awake so i decided to go ahead and get up and ready
i got up to the complex at 8 (an hour early :(...)
fenced epee and did pretty well in the pools so i ended up seeded 6th
after my bye i faced a C-rated guy with a really good sweeping 6th, but i was patient and waited for my openings and did really well
then a B-rated woman (louise) who i beat in the pools (she said she was having an awful pool) beat aron liaw (guy from australia who is really good) came against me again
it was terrible, i jsut couldn't seem to get a touch, she got up 13-3 on me before i realized i wasn't keeping my distance right and was able to get 2 touches before she got one putting it 14-5, then i got 4 touches in a row (because i figured her out, jsut too late) before she finished me off *sigh*
so i could have ended up tied for third, but i found out later (i hadn't realized at the time) that it was a B1 tournament, making my 6th place good enough for a D, which pretty much rocks
then i went into sabre
i had mary and gradeless in my pool (both of whom have beaten me in past tournaments) and a few other random people
i ended up winning all my pools (including a shutout against gradeless which shocked me because his really good epee skills usually mess me up) and went on to the DEs seeded first
after my bye i fenced one of the guys from my pool and beat him pretty easily, he was a pretty new fencer, and went on to face brian from IU (another epeeist doing sabre for fun) and was able to keep the right mentality and fence against him well enough to end up 15-4 (he was also tired from having Just finished the epee final so that didn't help him) putting me up against gradeless again (after he beat the other D there)
it wasn't a pretty bout, my form was probably disgusting, but i was able to keep right-of-way thinking to my advantage and won 15-9, so i got first place and a little trophy which also pretty much rocks
so it was a pretty exciting tournament for me (which is good because if i consider the total transportation cost(vehicle+maint+gas+insurance) with entry fee and the panara i grabbed on the way back i spent about $104 doing the tournament)
after i got back i worked on hw until 1am Again and hit the hay

45 to go

and a small side note, doesn't it SUCK when someone tells you you can't have something you want?, it basically guarantees that you will have an incredibly hard time thinking about anything other than the thing you can't have

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home